R-3935 SUPERVISOR – BIRMINGHAM SATELLITE SHOP Alabama Industries for the Blind
Re-Advertised & Revised
R-3935_ Reference #_2181780
Posting Date: November 5, 2018
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of Blind or Visually Impaired Deaf or Hard of Hearing and will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees that do not impose undue hardship and are not essential functions of the job.
POSITION: Supervisor – Birmingham SATELLITE SHOP
Alabama Industries for the Blind
RESPONSIBLE TO: Plant Manager
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a supervisor, line leader or lead person in a manufacturing operation.
- Prior sewn product manufacturing experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of modern manufacturing practices and/or service contract fulfillment.
- Ability to use personal computers (Excel, Word, MS Access preferred or comparable database).
- Ability to work with visually impaired individuals and/or individuals that may have other disabilities.
- Ability to work in a team oriented work environment with all levels of line, staff, and management.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organization skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision.
- Ability to maintain a high personal standard of ethics and professional behavior.
- General knowledge of office equipment and machines.
- Ability to deal pleasantly and courteously with employees and co-workers, by telephone, written correspondence and in person.
- Ability to assist visually impaired workers in the performance of their assigned tasks and to assist in utilizing jig, fixtures and work aides in the performance of those tasks.
- To plan, organize, direct, and supervise all activities necessary to carry out the conversion of raw materials and supplies into finished products, or to perform service contract or kitting/packaging activities per customer specifications.
- Perform timekeeping and payroll duties relevant to the AIB Birmingham plant.
- Accurately and impartially administer AIDB policies including but not limited to the attendance policy.
- Open / close the AIB Birmingham plant as required to accommodate the employee 8AM to 4:30PM work schedule and/or the public transportation schedules relevant to the AIB Birmingham employees.
- Respond to AIB Birmingham building security alarm or fire alarm notifications as required.
- To provide the supervisory leadership necessary to motivate subordinates in order to maximize the use of their talents and abilities.
- To assist the plant manager with technical aspects of planning, coordinating, data collection, analysis, product development, process improvement, cost reduction, efficiency improvement, work measurement, and problem identification and solution.
- To coordinate training and cross training of AIB Birmingham employees, especially those who have visual impairments, and to assist the Plant Manager with personnel and manufacturing activities.
- Responsible for placement and tracking of workers, to insure that labor costs are assigned correctly and that employees are utilized in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Responsible for the proper interpretation and execution of AIB/AIDB policies and procedures, government regulations, JWOD Act, federal, state, and local laws and directives as may be issued from upper management and administration.
- Responsible for cost containment and cost reduction within the satellite facility through increased efficiency and reduction of waste.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting for the activities within the satellite facility as required by good supervisory practices and the needs of other management and administration.
- Provide the organizational guidance necessary to optimize the use of existing space and help determine future needs as indicated by changes in demand.
- Responsible for the determination of the proper workflow and manufacturing balance within the various production and service units.
- Help develop training programs within the satellite facility to provide all employees with the opportunity to increase productivity, enhance or enrich their jobs, improve their standard of living and reach their maximum desirable potential.
- Responsible for acceptable levels of quality relative to all AIB products and services.
- Responsible for disseminating all information from upper management and administration to subordinates within the satellite facility. This includes the issuance of all work orders to the respective units under the scope of this position.
- Research and make recommendations relative to equipment purchases and utilization.
SALARY: $29,301- $50,101 Scale A1 Rank 07
Direct deposit is required.
This is a non-exempt position, and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled