R-3967 Temporary Dorm Teacher Aide Helen Keller School-Re-Advertised
R- 3967 Reference # 3010551
Posting Date: October 19, 2018
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Dorm Teacher Aide (Temporary- up to end of 2018/2019 school year)
Helen Keller School of Alabama
- Must possess High School diploma or equivalent
- Successful experience working directly with children in a day program or educational setting is desired.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree is desirable.
- A sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL is required within the first twelve (12) months of employment. A level of INTERMEDIATE must be obtained within thirty (30) months.
- Must possess a valid Alabama Driver License and may be required to obtain an Alabama School Bus Driver License within the first twelve (12) months of employment. If employed after beginning of school term, additional time may be given to obtain Alabama School Bus Driver License. If required, must maintain yearly certification for Alabama School Bus Driver License.
- Must pass MCS Class within the first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain certification.
- Demonstrate initiative in previous work settings.
- Must be willing to work either 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM or 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, as assigned.
- Must pass CPR within first twelve (12) months and maintain certification.
- Must be able to physically assist assigned wheelchair or physically disadvantaged students as their needs dictate, to include the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently during work shift and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or use an assistive device.
- Must be willing to work with horses in the Equestrian Program.
- Must be willing to get in the swimming pool with students to assist in implementing their program.
- The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background information check including, but not limited to, FBI and ABI record repositories. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $46.90 and appear for scheduled fingerprinting appointment.
- Implement instructional and other duties under teacher directions.
- Prepare bulletin boards and posters as assigned.
- Participate in all training sessions and workshops provided, to include body mechanics and medication administration.
- Monitor students in instructional, residential and recreational activities as assigned.
- Reinforce basic mobility techniques.
- Use total communication with students at all times when on duty.
- Work cooperatively as a team with other school personnel to serve students.
- Deal with emergency situations in a calm and logical manner.
- Be courteous to all students, parents, and staff.
- Assist the students in self-help and self-care activities, including mealtime and toileting.
- Physically assist assigned students to transfer as needed.
- Will be expected to physically assist assigned wheelchair or physically disadvantaged students as their needs dictate, to include ability to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently during work shift and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or use an assistive device.
- Will be expected to assist in the swimming pool, special equestrian program, etc.
- Accurately document all behavior incidents and student performance records.
- Other duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Principal, Academic Director(s), Residential Director
SALARY: $13.09 Scale CI Rank 27 (High School/GED)
$13.64 Scale CI Rank 29 (30 Semester Hours in related field)
$14.78 Scale CI Rank 32 (60 Semester Hours in related field)
Direct deposit is required.
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.