R-4005 Teacher Aide One on One Temporary Helen Keller School -Re-Advertised
R- 4005 Reference #3130105
Posting Date: January 7, 2019
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Teacher Aide, One-on-One (Temporary- up to end of 2018-2019 school term)
Helen Keller School of Alabama
- Must possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful experience working directly with children in a day program or educational setting is desired.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree is desired.
- A sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL is required within the first year (12) months of employment. A level of INTERMEDIATE must be obtained within thirty (30) months.
- Must pass MCS Class within the first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain certification throughout employment as required.
- Demonstrate initiative in previous work settings.
- Must complete CPR/First Aide within the first twelve (12) months of employment. Must maintain certification after initial certification.
- Must be willing to work either 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM or 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM, as assigned.
- Must be able to physically assist with students with physical disabilities, as needs dictate, including the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently during work shift and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or with the use of an assistive device.
- Must be able to physically assist with students exhibiting seriously aggressive behaviors towards staff and students.
- Must be willing to work with horses in the Equestrian Program.
- Must be willing to get in the swimming pool with students to assist in implementing their program.
- The successful applicant must submit to a criminal history background information check including, but not limited to, FBI and ABI record repositories. Upon offer of employment, the applicant must present a non-refundable fee of $49.65 and appear for scheduled fingerprinting appointment.
- Supervision and implementation of instruction and other responsibilities under teacher directions.
- Participation in training sessions and workshops provided, including orientation and mobility, lifting and transferring, and medication administration.
- Monitoring students in instructional, residential, and recreational activities as assigned.
- Reinforcing basic mobility techniques.
- Implementing behavioral strategies and techniques as dictated by behavior intervention plan and MCS.
- Using total communication with students at all times when on duty.
- Working cooperatively as a team member with other school personnel to serve students.
- Handling emergency situations in a calm and rational manner.
- Being courteous to all students, parents, and staff.
- Assisting students with self-help and self-care activities, including mealtime and toileting.
- Physically assist assigned students in transferring when needed.
- Accurately documenting all behavior incidents and student performance records.
- Other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $13.09 Scale CI Rank 27 (High School/GED)
$13.64 Scale CI Rank 29 (30 Semester Hours)
$14.59 Scale CI Rank 32 (60 Semester Hours)
Semester Hours Must be in Related Field to receive Semester pay.
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.,
Direct deposit is required.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.