R-4048 Temporary Dorm Aide Alabama School for the Deaf- Re-Advertised
R-4048 Reference# 312016556
POSTING DATE: April 11, 2019
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center or contact via phone 256-480-2109 or fax 256-362-7219 for instructions and application materials.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Temporary Dorm Aide- Alabama School for the Deaf (2018-2019 school year for 1 on 1 supervision of student) (Schedule – variable hour’s week – 1496 annually
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Must be able to work flexible schedule including morning, evening, night and/or weekend as AIDB schedule requires.
- Must possess a valid Alabama Driver License and may be required to obtain a CDL and Alabama School Bus Driver License within the first eighteen (18) months of employment. Must maintain yearly certification for Alabama School Bus Driver License (if applicable) and valid Alabama Driver License.
- Applicants must be able to be insured by the AIDB insurance carrier.
- All applicants must provide documentation of sign language proficiency or take a sign language proficiency evaluation (SCPI available through AIDB).
- Must possess sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL upon employment. SURVIVAL PLUS must be obtained within 12 months of employment. INTERMEDIATE must be obtained
within 18 months of employment. INTERMEDIATE PLUS must be obtained within 30 months of employment.
- Must complete CPR/First Aide and Behavior Management Classes (MCS) within the first twelve (12) months of employment. Must maintain certification for CPR and MCS after initial certification.
- Must be able to physically assist with physical needs of assigned wheelchair and/or physically disabled students as their needs dictate, including but not limited to bathing, dressing and grooming activities as part of the student’s care.
- Must be physically able to perform job duties.
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds frequently during work shift and lift more than fifty pounds with assistance or use of an assistive device.
- Must be willing to learn and implement new programs and technology.
- Must demonstrate Initiative.
- Must remain awake and alert at all times.
- Must make appropriate documentation at time of observation according to monitoring protocol.
- Must possess a good past work attendance record.
- Must be a team player and assist other dorm staff as needed.
- Must adhere to the ASD/AIDB Communication Policy related to the communication needs of deaf and hard of hearing individuals.
- Must have the ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be able to adhere to confidentiality requirements.
- Must adhere to established chain of command and established guidelines.
Upon offer of employment, the ABI/FBI record check must be completed based on the Alabama Child Protection Act of 1999 pursuant to Act 2002-457. A non-refundable fee of $48.15 is required at the scheduled appointment. Suitable criteria must be confirmed by the Alabama State Department of Education prior to beginning to work.
- Participates in in-services and workshops as requested/scheduled and required by AIDB.
- Engages in appropriate self-development activities.
- Demonstrates Initiative.
- Demonstrates flexibility and positive attitude, adapting to change.
- Implements established behavior management plans and follow reporting procedures.
- Instructs students in the development of proper eating, dressing, grooming, and related social habits (Independent Living Curriculum).
- Ensures that students are clean and well groomed.
- Escorts students to the cafeteria and assists students with eating as needed.
- Closely monitors and accounts for students assigned to residential unit.
- Ensures health and sanitary conditions are maintained.
- Ensures students obtain permission to leave the unit and reports their return.
- Renders first aid in cases of accident or illness, administers medication when instructed by infirmary staff and keeps accurate records, and notifies appropriate personnel in emergencies.
- Administers medicine after training when directed and keeps accurate records.
- Engages in light housekeeping chores as required and maintains cleanliness in the dormitory at all times (schedules light housekeeping duties for students as age appropriate).
- Completes laundry as assigned and ensures the laundering and return of clothing, sheets, and towels.
- Establishes good study habits and encourages scholastic achievement.
- Promotes the development of decision making, sportsmanship, leadership, independence, and general self-reliance as appropriate for the functioning level of the child (Independent Living Curriculum).
- Plans, instructs, and conducts recreational leisure time activities; escorts children to and from appropriate activities.
- Prepares timely and accurate daily chronicles/reports regarding students as required by supervisor.
- Ensures security of building.
- Handles emergency situations in a calm manner.
- Executes appropriate procedures in cases of emergency of fire, evacuations, hazardous weather, shelter in place, armed intruder (intruder), etc. Performs such drills as dictated by policy.
- Responsible for taking inventory in assigned building
- Responsible for conducting safety inspections and reporting damages or needs to the supervisor/designee.
- Assists with the preparation and revision of individual education plans (dormitory, Independent Living, Academic, Transition, etc. curriculum for each student as needed.
- Follows Independent Living Curriculum.
- Evaluates students on independent living skills.
- Writes student progress reports as required by the department (Dormitory Grades).
- Ensures students report for all scheduled medical appointments punctually.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $13.09 C1 Rank 27 Scale (High School Diploma/GED)
$13.64 C1 Rank 29 Scale (BS degree required in related field)
$14.59 C1 Rank 32 Scale (60 Semester Hours in related field)
Direct deposit is required. 187 Days
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.