R-3870 Orientation & Mobility Specialist -Structured Discovery Program- Revised & Re-Advertised
Revised & Re-Advertised
R- 3870 Reference #116329452
Posting Date: May 3, 2019
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION TITLE: Orientation and Mobility Specialist – Structured Discovery Program
REPORTS TO: Alabama Freedom Center for the Blind Director
- Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Orientation and Mobility or closely-related field.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED and have successfully completed a Structured Discovery Program and demonstrated knowledge of the Structured Discovery philosophy and means by which travel instruction is integrated into core curriculum components.
- Must be certified or certifiable in Orientation and Mobility by the National Blindness Professional Certification Board (NBPCB) who has established rigorous standards for certifying competent professionals who teach Orientation and Mobility skills using Structured Discovery Cane Travel (SDCT) methods and principles. The successful applicant will have earned the designation of National Orientation and Mobility Certificant (NOMC) within the NBPCB.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of the Structured Discovery philosophy and means by which Orientation and Mobility is integrated as a core programmatic component.
- Must demonstrate competency in BRAILLE by scoring 80% on the AIDB Braille Skills Assessment within the first twelve (12) months of employment.
- Must illustrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff; consumers and their families; program graduates; peer Orientation and Mobility Specialists; advisory groups; and agencies such as the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services along with contemporary Structured Discovery Programs.
- Demonstrated maturity, self-motivation, and the ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Must illustrate outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must either possess or develop an understanding of cultures and needs of persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, low vision or deafblind, ensuring all actions and decisions demonstrate a respect for and value of persons with sensory loss.
- Required extensive vicinity and occasional overnight travel.
- Upon offer of employment, the ABI/FBI record check must be completed based on the Alabama Child Protection Act of 1999 pursuant to Act 2002-457. A non-refundable fee of $48.15 is required at the scheduled appointment. Suitable criteria must be confirmed by the Alabama State Department of Education prior to beginning to work.
- Conduct Orientation and Mobility assessments, focusing on the Structured Discovery students’ long/short-term needs grounded in nonvisual instruction; cognitive problem solving; and concerted strategies for clarifying attitudes and raising expectations surrounding blindness.
- Based on said assessment and continued evaluation, provide individualized Orientation and Mobility instruction and consultation for Structured Discovery Program participants.
- Prepare lesson plans inclusive of sequential and meaningful instruction geared to the students’ assessed needs; Individualized Employment Plan and/or Personal Futures Plan; functioning and motivational levels.
- Prepare and use equipment and materials for the development of Orientation and Mobility skills, following the Structured Discovery curricula and philosophy.
- Document Structured Discovery participant progress daily.
- Instruct Structured Discovery students in the development of skills and knowledge which will enable them to travel independently to the highest degree possible based on assessed needs and the participants’ evaluation, Individualized Employment Plan and/or Personal Futures Plan.
- Assist Structured Discovery participants in travelling to various community locations as necessary to provide meaningful instruction in realistic learning environments until participants achieve the skills to arrange for their own transportation.
- Present in-service training to Structured Discovery staff on appropriate Orientation and Mobility techniques as needed.
- Participate in the Structured Discovery Strategic Planning process to provide a continuum of services aligning with AIDB’s efforts to design innovative instructional programs to meet the unique and changing education and rehabilitation needs of students, consumers and families.
- Actively seek ways to educate through effective marketing and positive public relations to enhance and expand the Structured Discovery Program.
- Participate in state and national meetings, workshops, presentations, conferences and consumer groups, sharing information learned and best practice methodology to internal/external audiences.
- Observe the Code of Ethics of the Orientation and Mobility profession.
- Keep abreast of current research and Orientation and Mobility teaching strategies.
- Review and update the Structured Discovery Orientation and Mobility curriculum as necessary.
- Protect confidentiality of student information while maintaining required records and reports inclusive of data entry into the Gentry Referral Information Net (GRIN).
- Demonstrate professionalism in behavior and dress that serves as a role model, setting a good example for Structured Discovery participants and aligning with the AIDB culture.
- Attend departmental, inner-agency and campus-wide faculty/committee meetings as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SALARY: $33,902 - $49,976 Scale MR Rank 5A (HS and Structured Discovery Program Completion)
$37,741 - $57,240 Scale MR Rank 5B Bachelor’s Degree
$39,529 - $59,910 Scale MR Rank 5M Master’s Degree
Monthly Payroll - Direct deposit is required.
This is an exempt position, and is not subject to overtime or compensatory provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until Filled
This position is funded by a grant award, funded by revenue generated, necessary for compliance or provides direct service delivery.
Click Here if you would like more instructions on how to apply for this job.