R-3012 Revised & Re-Advertised Production Worker- Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB) (Talladega and Birmingham)
Revised & Re-Advertised
Posting Date: August 28, 2020
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Production Worker
Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB) (Talladega and Birmingham)
ABOUT ALABAMA INSTITUTE FOR DEAF AND BLIND
The Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB) is one component of the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB) which is the world’s most comprehensive education, rehabilitation and service program serving individuals of all ages who are deaf, blind, deaf-blind, multi-disabled and their families.
Founded in 1929, AIB is the state’s largest employer of persons who are blind or have significant disabilities. Mattie Smith’s passion was to provide remunerative employment for ladies who were blind. Starting AIB meagerly with five donated sewing machines and five seamstresses which would sew items for homemakers, AIB experienced many products for the US Government, State and commercial customers including a contract to produce long neckties for each service branch. AIB has 275 employees and operates a 250,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Talladega, AL and a 15,000 square foot facility in Birmingham, AL. AIB also operates four Base Supply Centers in two states which are located on Redstone Arsenal, near Huntsville, AL, Fort Rucker near Dothan, AL, Robins AFB near Warner Robins, GA and Moody AFB near Valdosta GA.
ABOUT OUR MISSION
The Alabama Industries for the Blind’s mission is to provide meaningful employment for individuals with disabilities in areas of manufacturing and delivery of service contract.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Production Worker role will be responsible for performing various production responsibilities related to the manufacturing operations for our Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB) division. The role may include the following areas of production: Industrial Sewing, Pressing, Broom/Mop Winding, Product Packing & Distribution, Paper Production, Toner Cartridge or general manufacturing duties.
You will play a vital role in performing various manufacturing operations as you will be a part of the AIB team in producing high quality work. Each employee should deal pleasantly and courteously with all of the AIB team to include coworkers, supervisors, and the Executive Manager. You must be able to follow written and verbal instructions and deal with changes in work assignments. Each employee must demonstrate a good attendance record. This position reports to the Production Supervisor, AIB.
- Must be willing to complete a skills assessment to demonstrate good hand coordination prior to employment.
- Must meet the federal definition of legal blindness.
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate.
- Three (3) months of work experience in a sewn products manufacturing environment Willing to train for an individual that does not have work experience.
- Must follow AIDB/AIB policies and procedures.
- Must be required to cross train on multiple operations.
- Must possess or develop an understanding of cultures and needs of persons who are deaf, blind or deaf/blind, ensuring all actions and decisions demonstrate a respect for and value of persons with sensory loss.
- Must attend Disability Sensitivity Training Class and successfully pass with a 90% to AIB Sensitivity Assessment within the first six (6) months of employment.
SALARY: $9.09 - $10.75 Scale IB Rank 00 (260 days)
This is an non-exempt position and is subject to overtime time provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Payroll Schedule – Semi-monthly, Direct Deposit is required
Deadline for Application: Open Until Filled
Click here if you would like more instructions on how to apply for this job