R-6192 Staff Interpreter E. H. Gentry Facility – based in Talladega, AL - Re-Advertised
Posting Date: March 29,2021
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Staff Interpreter -E.H. Gentry Facility – based in Talladega, AL
ABOUT ALABAMA INSTITUTE FOR DEAF AND BLIND
The Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB) is the world’s most comprehensive education, rehabilitation and service program serving individuals of all ages who are deaf, blind, deafblind and multi-disabled and their families. Founded in 1858, AIDB serves more than 30,000 infants, toddlers, children, adults and seniors with hearing and vision loss throughout Alabama each year.
Our services literally span a lifetime including five campuses in Talladega, eight regional centers located in Birmingham, Dothan, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery, Talladega, Tuscaloosa and Tuscumbia with programs that range from early and senior intervention, traditional and nontraditional education services in residential and outreach settings and a manufacturing facility that is the state’s largest employer of adults who are blind and deaf.
ABOUT OUR LOCATION
AIDB is located just minutes away from the Talladega Speedway, Highway 280 and from shopping and dining in neighboring cities such as: Trussville, Irondale, Pelham, Leeds, Alabaster, Chelsea, Hoover, Westover, Oxford and Anniston.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our employees are among the organizations’ most valuable assets and resources. We share compassion for leveling the playing field for all. Our Mission makes AIDB a unique place to work and we invite you to be a part of the miracles that happen every day.
As an Interpreter for E. H. Gentry Facility, you will be responsible for providing interpreting services for students, staff and AIDB community and may be assigned to special projects with our internal units and external partnering agencies. The right candidate for this job will have a passion working with our students, staff, parents and community partners.
You will play a vital role to ensure that AIDB’s culture of inclusion is reinforced and that students and employees feel connected, recognized and proud to be a part of the organization.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Must possess and maintain current Alabama Interpreter License or Permit. .
- Must have at least three (3) months of formal work experience interpreting for the Deaf/DeafBlind.
- Proven experience utilizing full range of communication and language levels including use of sign, spoken language, and any additional modes of communication.
- Must provide recent documentation of sign language proficiency (SCPI) or take a sign language proficiency evaluation (SCPI) available through AIDB.
- Must possess a sign language proficiency evaluation of ADVANCED upon employment.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated advocacy experience.
- Possess intermediate skills in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.).
- Must know and adhere to the Interpreter Code of Ethics.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One (1) year or more of formal work experience interpreting for the Deaf/DeafBlind.
- Must possess a sign language proficiency evaluation of ADVANCED PLUS within 30 months of employment.
- Must obtain an Alabama License for Interpreters within 30 months of employment.
- Upon offer of employment, the ABI/FBI record check must be completed based on the Alabama Child Protection Act of 1999 pursuant to Act 2002-457. A non-refundable fee of $48.15 is required at the scheduled appointment.
SALARY: $41,896 - $ 65,984 Scale PI Rank IN
Annual salary based on hours scheduled to work at 260 days.
Direct deposit required.
This is an exempt position and is not subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until Filled
Click here if you would like more instructions on how to apply for this job