R-7134 Part Time Production Worker
Posting Date: April 19, 2021
We receive our applications through the Alabama Career Center System. Please review the position requirements below for minimum qualifications. Visit your local State Career Center for instructions and application materials. You may also call (256) 521-0500 or fax (256) 362-7219.
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: Part-Time Production Worker
Talladega & Birmingham Manufacturing Facilities
Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB)
ABOUT ALABAMA INDUSTRIES FOR THE BLIND
The Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB) is one component of the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB) which is the world’s most comprehensive education, rehabilitation and service program serving individuals of all ages who are deaf, blind, deafblind, multi-disabled and their families.
AIB is the state’s largest employer of persons who are blind or have significant disabilities. AIB has a manufacturing facility in Talladega, AL and Birmingham, AL. AIB also operates four Base Supply Centers in two states which are located on Redstone Arsenal, Fort Rucker, Robins AFB, and Moody AFB.
ABOUT OUR MISSION
The Alabama Industries for the Blind’s mission is to provide meaningful employment for individuals with disabilities in areas of manufacturing and delivery of service contract.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Part-Time Production Worker role will be responsible for training and available to work on various production responsibilities related to the manufacturing operations for Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB). The role may include the following areas of production: Industrial Sewing, Pressing, Broom/Mop Winding, Product Packing & Distribution, Paper Production, Toner cartridge or general manufacturing duties.
You will play a vital role in performing various manufacturing operations, as you will be a part of the AIB team in producing high quality work. Each employee should deal pleasantly and courteously with all of the AIB team to include coworkers, supervisor, and the Executive Manager. You must be able to follow written and verbal instructions and deal with changes in work assignments. You will be required to perform your job responsibilities in a manner that sets a good example for other employees to follow and demonstrate a good attendance record. You may be required to perform tasks that require visual alignment of product or visual inspection of product conformance to standard. This position reports to the Production Supervisor, AIB.
- Must be willing to complete a skills assessment to demonstrate good hand coordination prior to employment.
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate.
- Alabama Industries for the Blind (AIB) Retiree.
- Enrollment in AIDB Educational and/or Rehabilitation Program to allow for work experience.
- Three (3) months of work experience in a sewn products manufacturing environment.
- Must follow AIDB policies and procedures.
- Must meet Safety, Qualify and Production requirements.
- Must possess or develop an understanding of cultures and needs of persons who are deaf, blind or deaf/blind, ensuring all actions and decisions demonstrate a respect for and value of persons with sensory loss.
- Must attend Disability Sensitivity Training Class and successfully pass with a 90% proficiency on the AIB Sensitivity Assessment within the first six (6) months of employment.
SALARY: Scale IB Rank 00 $9.09 - $10.75
(Work Schedule: as needed, not to exceed 29 hours a week)
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Payroll Schedule – Semi-monthly, Direct Deposit is required.
Deadline for Application: Open Until Filled
Click here if you would like more instructions on how to apply for this job