R-9546 Student Life Advisor (Weekend Shift) - E.H. Gentry
Click Below to Apply:
R- 9546 Reference #114216556
Posting Date: March 13, 2023
Candidates who are blind or visually impaired and/or deaf or hard of hearing are encouraged to apply for this position and may be given preference in hiring as permitted by federal laws. Information related to disability is not required, and if disclosed voluntarily, will be used only in AIDB’s efforts to create opportunities for individuals with disabilities. Non-disclosure will not subject any applicant to adverse treatment.
POSITION: Student Life Advisor (Weekend Shift) - E.H. Gentry
ABOUT ALABAMA INSTITUTE FOR DEAF AND BLIND
Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB) is the world’s most comprehensive education, rehabilitation and service program serving individuals of all ages who are deaf, blind, deafblind and multi-disabled and their families. Founded in 1858, AIDB serves more than 36,000 infants, toddlers, children, adults and seniors with hearing and vision loss throughout Alabama each year.
Our services literally span a lifetime including five campuses in Talladega, ten regional centers located in Birmingham, Dothan, Decatur, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery, Opelika, Talladega, Tuscaloosa and Shoals with programs that range from early and senior intervention, traditional and nontraditional education services in residential and outreach settings and a manufacturing facility that is the state’s largest employer of adults who are blind and deaf.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our employees are among the organizations’ most valuable assets and resources. We share compassion for leveling the playing field for all. Our Mission makes AIDB a unique place to work and we invite you to be a part of the miracles that happen every day. A Student Life Advisor for the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind is responsible for providing the highest level of front line care for our students. Student Life Advisors will provide a safe and effective educational environment for students with multiple disabilities. Some of physical challenges and Autism.
This role requires excellent listening skills, communication skills, and teaching skills. Student Life Advisors will be directly responsible for behavioral management and support of our students. Student Life Advisors will adhere to AIDD’s safety/emergency procedures, student transportation, and disciplinary systems in cooperation with other departments, and the Director of Extended Day.
You will play a vital role in providing the highest level of frontline care for our students. You will make effective decisions and solve problems using sound judgment, guided initiative, and teamwork. You will become a part of the miracles that happen every day at AIDB. This will be accomplished by demonstrating flexibility, positive attitude, professional maturity, good work ethic, and by teaching life skills to our students.
- Minimum high school diploma or General Educational Diploma.
- Minimum three (3) years of work experience in a residential setting or group home.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication and basic office skills: completing forms, maintaining inventory, providing documentation, and filing.
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word and Excel).
- Must possess initiative and be a team player.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field from an accredited college/university.
- Four (4) years of experience working with students who are deaf, blind, deafblind, and/or have distinct needs.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL School Bus)
- Sign Language Proficiency Level of Survival according to the AIDB evaluation system.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate student and staff needs to include: nights, weekends, first, second and third shifts.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds, do light housekeeping chores, climb stairs and participate in recreational activities.
- Must complete Orientation to Blindness class within the first 12 months of employment.
- Must earn a Sign Language Proficiency Level of Intermediate according to the AIDB evaluation system within the first 36 months of employment.
- Must complete and maintain CPR/First Aid, Medication and Behavior Management training within 12 months of employment.
- Upon offer of employment, the applicant must submit to a fingerprint background check at an agency designated and paid by AIDB
SALARY: $14.77-$21.34 HP 40 (High School Diploma/GED)
$15.65-$22.62 HP 42 (Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field)
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
BENEFITS: Health, Dental and Vision Insurance Available
Alabama State Teachers Retirement System
Deferred Compensation Options Available
Paid Time Off
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: March 27,2023
Click Below to Apply: