R-9549 Bus Driver ( Birmingham Route) -Alabama Industries for the Blind
Click Below to Apply:
R- 9549 Reference #99715005655
Posting Date: March 16, 2023
Candidates who are blind or visually impaired and/or deaf or hard of hearing are encouraged to apply for this position and may be given preference in hiring as permitted by federal laws. Information related to disability is not required, and if disclosed voluntarily, will be used only in AIDB’s efforts to create opportunities for individuals with disabilities. Non-disclosure will not subject any applicant to adverse treatment
POSITION Bus Driver ( Birmingham Route)
Alabama Industries for the Blind
ABOUT ALABAMA INSTITUTE FOR DEAF AND BLIND
The Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB) is the world’s most comprehensive education, rehabilitation and service program serving individuals of all ages who are deaf, blind, deafblind and multi-disabled and their families. Founded in 1858, AIDB serves more than 36,000 infants, toddlers, children, adults and seniors with hearing and vision loss throughout Alabama each year.
Our services literally span a lifetime, from birth to senior adulthood. AIDB includes five campuses in Talladega, ten regional centers located statewide with programs that range from early and senior intervention, traditional and nontraditional education services in residential and outreach settings, and a manufacturing facility that is the state’s largest employer of adults who are blind and deaf.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our employees are our most valuable resource. The Bus Driver provides a safe environment for AIDB’s students and consumers.
You will have an opportunity to use your professional expertise to engage with students and clients throughout our organization. At AIDB we are limitless and so are the possibilities for your professional growth and fulfillment.
- Must possess a High School diploma or General Equivalency diploma.
- Must hold current valid Alabama CDL with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsement.
- One (1) year of experience working with individuals with sensory impairment.
- Must pass Managing Crisis Safely (MCS) Class within the first twelve (12) months of employment and maintain certification throughout employment of this position.
- Must be insurable under AIDB’s fleet policy.
- Must register with the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearing House upon employment and comply with all of its requirements during tenure.
- Must attend wheelchair lift and securement training within (6) months of employment.
- Must complete CPR/First Aide within the first eighteen (18) months of employment and must maintain certification throughout employment of this position.
- A sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL according to the AIDB evaluation system must be obtained within the first twelve (12) months of employment. SURVIVAL PLUS must be obtained within the first thirty-six (36) months of employment.
- Provide safe and timely transportation for AIDB’s students or clients.
- Abide by all federal, state, local, and AIDB rules, regulations, laws, and policies.
- Complete and turn in all paperwork required by AIDB transportation department and Regional Director.
- Keep bus on regular schedule.
- Never leave a consumer unattended at his/her stop without permission.
- Communicate efficiently on two (2) way radio and/or cellular phone.
- Will be responsible for cleanliness of bus interior.
- Perform acceptable pre, post trip inspection, and report any problems.
- Keep accurate and truthful time sheet for payroll purposes.
- Remain calm and handle emergency situations as they arise.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Upon offer of employment, the applicant must submit to a fingerprint background check at an agency designated and paid by AIDB
- Health, dental, and vision insurance available-Teachers Retirement System (TRS)
- Deferred compensation options available
- Paid time off
SALARY: $23.19- $27.94 Scale HB Rank 01
This is a non-exempt position and is subject to overtime and/or compensatory time provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Deadline for Application: March 30,2023
Click Below to Apply: